Sunday, October 2, 2011

Journal #3: Students Dig up Dirt to Learn about Internet Safety (NETS-2)

Morehouse, J. (2011). Students dig up dirt to learn about internet safety. 39(2), Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/learn/publications/learning-and-leading/issues/Learning_Connections_Students_Dig_Up_Dirt_to_Learn_about_Internet_Safety.aspx


In the article Students Dig Up Dirt To Learn About Internet Safety by Jesse Morehouse this article is all about how the stuff teenagers and really anyone posts on the internet is available to all when people try to search for things. For example, I followed the steps to see if I could find my friends and family and it was rather easy and it scared me in a way. I think this is a huge topic that should be expressed to all teenagers because they are so unaware of the dangers. There are privacy settings on every social networking site and these should be used at all times. Not only do teenagers need to be aware of these settings but parents should also. Parents need to implement rules on the privacy that their children should have on their sites. 

Question 1: How can we create more privacy awareness on the internet?

I believe that every profile should have to be private and there so be no way around it. I also think that somehow parents need to be more aware of what their children are doing on the web and how they can monitor it. Some parents are so oblivious as to what their kids are doing that is is unbelievable. Everyone should know what is okay and what is not okay to post on the internet. For example, like the article says no postings of personal information like phone numbers and addresses and such.

Question 2: How can I teach this in my classrooms?

When I become a teacher I want to teach younger grades so I do not think that this certain type of information really pertains to that age level. However, if I was to teach higher grades I would like to get it approved by the principle of my school if I can teach how important this subject is. There are creepy people who are out there on the internet and who love stalking people who just give away their information. Just one simple computer class on the following article would make students more aware of the dangers out there on the web.

No comments:

Post a Comment