Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Journal #10

McAnear, A. (2011, February). Cool tools should be transparent and student selected. Learning and Leading, Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/learn/publications/learning-and-leading/digital-edition-november-2011.aspx
I found an article on Learning and Leading that was very interesting to me and it was based on the idea if all schools should eventually go paperless. This article was interesting because I could tell that the writer as well as some others agreed that schools should to make things easier and more exciting for children. But at the end of the article a poll was taken where readers were able to give their opinions and I was surprised to read that a lot of people think no. At the beginning of this article I agreed with the author in the fact that eventually schools should go paperless. Then when reading the polls and others opinions, it made me think differently. For example, schools do not have enough money for a full supply of paper stock for their classrooms, there is no way there is enough money for individual computers and more. Another thing that caught my eye was when it came to math. Someone said that "calculators can't do everything." This statement is so true, yes calculators are great but how can kids truly learn how to solve equations if everything is done for them? I feel as this will be an ongoing topic that no one can predict what will happen.

Do I believe that in the next 10 years, schools will be paperless?

-No, and this is simply because of how the economy is today. There isn't enough money for the amount of teachers available, there is no way enough money for all the technology that would be needed for all the schools. Maybe when my kids grow up and have kids is when this might happen, but who knows what the world will be like then. Maybe there won't be schools, every kid will be able to teach themselves from home on their computer...the future cannot be predicted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment